Thursday 8 April 2010

Take Time to Smell the Coffee

Hey there everyone!  Hope you're having a good week.

It's challenge day over at the Play Date Cafe challenge blog.  Another week's gone by, was I asleep?! I must be getting old, time is definately going by a lot quicker than it used to!

Ok, so enough chit chat from me. Here is my card for the week, plus details of the latest challenge.


The colours this week were created by Mona.  Gorgeous colours, we all need a bit of spring right now after the winter we've had, don't we?  Well that is if you're not in a part of the world that is in a different season!!

Hands up if you love coffee?!!  I do, and drink a little bit too much of it really.  This week we have a 'celebrity' guest designer and sponsor, Kristen Powers, from KPink.  As part of the challenge we could use one of her digi images. Now me being the caffeine addict and all that I decided I would definately give it a go with this cute little cup and saucer. Check out her blog for her designs, they are lovely!  I have got my eye on the little girl with the plaster, and those yummy owls.  Which ones do you like?

So then came the next challenge, from Sarah, one of the senior DT, to see what we could come up with, whether it was colouring with pencils, copics, paints etc. paper piecing, copics, prismacolour, inks (ink image and paper piece), coloured paper paper pieced, crayons, watercolour paint, acrylic paint, software program... I decided I would do some paper piecing. I'm always saying I will give it a go, but never do. That's what these challenges are all about, right?  To push us out of our comfort zone?  What fun! I had a great time playing with this over the weekend. This card definately didn't take me 10 minutes, more like 10 hours lol. No seriously though, I spent so much time playing around with different ideas that I couldn't tell you how long it took, but I had a lot of fun! It was nice just sitting playing with a pair of scissors and cutting out little bits of paper, very therapeutic, must be something to do with when I was a child lol.

Here are the card details
  1. Get out lots of patterned paper, a pair of scissors and play.  Enjoy the creative process!
  2. Print digi image onto white cardstock and paper piece with patterned paper/plain cardstock
  3. Cover card base with lavender cardstock
  4. Cut out two squares, one in cream, the other in plum
  5. Adhere plum square directly onto card base
  6. Attach ribbon to lavender square before pop dotting onto plum to add dimension
  7. Die cut a circle and scallop in lavender and plum, as shown
  8. Assemble and attach scallop circle, adding paper pieced digi image
  9. Stamp sentiment, cut into a square label and attach to card
  10. Using liquid applique add foam to the coffee to bring it to life, heating the foam until it looks frothy.  Add some to the side of the cup to look as if the foam is overflowing
  11. Put the kettle on and make a cuppa, all that hard work deserves a coffee!
Dies: Sizzix 'Circles #1', 'Scallop'
Digi Image & Stamps: KPink coffee cup, Impression Obsession stamps 'Smell the Coffee'
Paper: Bazzill cardstock, plum 'velvet' paper from local craft shop 
Accessories:  Basic Grey pad, white liquid applique, ribbon and purple pearls from stash

You may not be able to tell from the photo but the plum 'paper' is actually velvet in texture, which gives it added dimension. 

Don't forget to check out the rest of the talented design team's projects ....


Ciao for now!

10 comments:

  1. I wondered about that plum paper, Ruby..thought it looked like it had a little 'texture' to it!

    Lovely and colorful, which are two things I LOVE about your designs....great job : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. How Cute is this? Super cute.
    Thanks for turning "my" digi stamp into something so fab!
    :)
    kp

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet and adorable card! Love how you pieced together your digi image! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your take on this week's color challenge! Love the liquid applique used to create marshmallows - too creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely works dear.I like ur works.
    Thanku for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful papers for your paper piecing. The Liquid Applique was a great touch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous, Ruby! Love the paper-piecing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you gave paper piecing a go Ruby, it really works!
    I'm a tea girl but I love the smell of fresh coffee, and those beans look like they smell yummy :)
    Have some cutting out in this weekend's workshop so you should go home chilled and happy lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE your card! Great job at paper piecing! I love that "foam" (is that what is on top of coffee?). Either way--LOVE it! Great addition!

    I need to email you--been kind of "under" lately. I will email you soon:) Hope you are doing well! Hello to TINK!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ruby

    Tried to leave you a message once but it's disappeared into the black blog hole!!

    I'm a tea girl like Sarah but I love coffee smell even if I don't drink it. The cup looks great - love the frothy effect.

    Good to meet you and Tink on Saturday - it was a brilliant day. Left a message on Tink's blog to - she makes some beautiful cards too!

    Caz

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for popping by to view my blog and for taking the time to leave a message. I really appreciate your feedback. Ruby xx

 
Blog Design By -Lindsey Joy Design- ©All Rights Reserved